The hero of both books is Ringil Eskiath, a war veteran who wields the blade Ravensfriend. The Ravensfriend was forged for him by the alien and immortal Kiriath. Its full name is something like:
I am welcomed in the home of ravens and other scavengers in the wake of warriors. I am friend to carrion crows and wolves. I am carry Me and kill with Me, and die with Me where the road ends. I am not the honeyed promise of length of life in years to come. I am the iron promise of never being a slave.I just have to do this sword as a magic item for Lotfp:
The Ravensfriend is a very sharp sword that can be drawn nearly instantly from its scabbard. It has the following powers:
- It grants a magical +1 bonus to hit. In terms of Lotfp, that is huge. I am not planning on having any magic that grants a larger bonus.
- The blade is very sharp and does double damage, i.e. 2d8.
- The blade can be drawn and an attack made without any penalties.
- The wielder is immune to all charm spells and effects. That's the bit about "the iron promise of never being a slave."
- The wielder will not be attacked by ravens, carrion crows and wolves. They recognize the blade as provider of food. Again, see name.
Note: I am not satisfied with the negative effect of the blade. Any suggestions would be most welcome.