Sunday, November 27, 2011

Vampiric, crimson etc. mist

Again, a monster that conjured my imagination when I read about it. There was a short passage in a play report where a magic-user cast a fireball at such a mist monster and it retreated. The actual stats disappointed again. Here is my take on the mist monster. Let's call it Mist of Betrayal for no particular reason than liking the sound of it.

The monster should be a challenge and withstand a fireball (at least theoretically). So it should have at least 6 hit dice. It's not particularly hard to hit, but all the various mists seem to be immune to anything less than a magic weapon +1. Let's keep that and intensify: the mist is immune to any weapon attack. But they are vulnerable to any sort of fire. If hit by magical fire they must make an immediate moral check or withdraw. The mist doesn't do conventional damage. It is deadly cold and sucks your life energy away. If you remain conscious, the betrayal will happen. A random member of the group is charmed to attack his comrades (save vs. magic; save can be repeated each round). Effects wear off, as soon as the group leaves the mist.

That's what my mist of betrayal looks like. It's more of a natural hazard than a monster. But still it can be "killed".

Mist of betrayal: HD 6, AC 14, Speed: half that of a walking human, Morale: 6, Damage: special (see below), Immune to all weapon attacks, vulnerable to fire (if attacked with magical fire must pass morale check or flee), AL: Chaotic
  • Hard to perceive: Succeed at a bushcraft check to notice the mist before it solidifies.
  • Cold, clamy mists: Save vs. poison each round inside the mist. On first failed save, you are knocked out. On second failed save, you die. If only knocked out, you regains consciousness one round after leaving the mist.
  • Betrayal: A random party member who is not knocked out must save vs. magic or be charmed to attack his comrades. Save can be retried each round. Leaving the mist ends the effect.
  • Leaving: Take a round to flee outside the mist. Do not attack during that round.

4 comments:

  1. ...What if, instead of just forcing someone who's awake to attack his comrade, an illusion effect convinced the players that knocked out party members were under the control of the mist? That way, you might actually goad them into attacking fellow party members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

    I've recently put out an ebook of my writing, called The New Death and others. It's mostly short stories, with some obvious gamer-interest material. For example I have a story inspired by OD&D elves, as well as poems which retell Robert E Howard's King Kull story The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune and HP Lovecraft's Under the Pyramids.

    I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog (either a normal book review, or a review of its suitability as gaming inspiration).

    If so, please let me know your email, and what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy. You can email me (news@apolitical.info) or reply to this thread.

    You can download a sample from Smashwords:

    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126

    I'll also link to your review from my blog.

    Yours,
    James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love monsters that mess with players like that. Would a coerced player be more likely to attack an unconscious player?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @hüth: Hm... not as interesting when the attacked party can't defend themselves.

    @anarchist: Thanks for the offer, but I hardly find time to read the tons books already bought. So unfortunately I have to decline the offer.

    @David: Good question. I haven't thought about that at all. In my opinion, the knocked out players are already in enough trouble. So, I'd have the charmed character attack conscious characters.

    ReplyDelete